*Once again, I'm suffering from oops-forgot-to-actually-publish-my-post-itis. Pretend this came to you on Saturday.*
Sorry my May posts have been getting the shaft. I've just been a busy girl and writing hasn't been at the top of my to-do list. But this morning I am filled to the brim with elation and pride and I just have to share:
Eliza slept completely through the night all by herself last night.
As in, "Goodnight, Eliza. *kiss* Sleep well. I love you." And cock-a-doodle-doo! "Good morning, Eliza! It's 7:00. Would you like some breakfast? How was your night? Oh, you didn't wake up once? How nice!"
SO PROUD.
Honestly, I'm more proud of her than excited for myself at having had a full night's sleep. What a big milestone for this tough little girl!
...
I imagine that it will be this way throughout motherhood. Being filled to overflowing with pride at the seemingly small and insignificant accomplishments of my little ones.
Or not-so-little ones.
When I've done something big or daunting that no one else would understand could be my personal triumph, I call my mom. She doesn't merely pretend to think it's a triumph worth celebrating--she knows it is and is genuinely proud and happy with me. I suppose that's because she knows me so well. She knows that my triumphs, which on the outside may appear mundane to others, are just as big a milestone in my development as taking a first step or saying a first word. And she's there every step of the way giving encouragement and sharing in my successes and struggles. I couldn't have a better sounding board, confidant, cheerleader (woo-hooer), counselor, and friend that knows me so well and understands me so completely. Thank you, Mom. I sincerely hope I can be to Eliza what you have been to me: "Chums in joy and comrades in distress."
No comments:
Post a Comment