Friday, July 19, 2013

Welcome to The School of Hard Knocks

Eliza and I are learning tonight. And I hope and pray that Blake is sleeping.

I am learning to really listen. Her cries don't always mean what I think they mean.
I'm also learning let her learn without me swooping in to make things easy. Hard for a mother (all mothers) whose instincts are to make everything better and snuggle away every discomfort. But I'm learning.

Eliza is learning about self-soothing. Problem solving at its finest. She knows quite a bit about self-soothing already, but tonight is about application. We have become suckers with the binky (no pun intended) since moving into an apartment complex. The binky is getting a night off because we are away from our apartment and in an empty home tonight. Mom and Dad are out of town and we've come home to let Blake join the ranks with baling hay at some point when the dew is right. We figured it'd be a good time to let Eliza try her hand and getting herself back to sleep. I must say, she's doing much better than I am. Even when she's quiet, I am awake and alert and listening for every sound.

Five hours 'till morning. I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment