Wednesday, January 9, 2013

First Day of (Not)School + Christmas

So Monday was my first day of not going back to school. Bizarre! I'm glad I was able to fill the day with lots of productive things to keep any nostalgia at bay. I couldn't help myself, though--I went through Blake's syllabi on LearningSuite and documented each classes' assignments and due dates on our Google Calendar.

I can see the red flags raising in your head as you read that. Don't worry!--I'm not being a micromanaging wife! (I think?) I did it (1) because that is one of my all-time favorite things to do to get organized at the beginning of the semester and I was missing it yesterday; (2) because I like to have a genuine understanding of Blake's classes so when he comes home and shares the cool things from class, I have some sort of context to understand which class he's talking about; and (3) because Blake will often say in passing, "Do I have paper due next week?"--almost as if he's thinking out loud, but for some reason I have this sick disease where I feel like I have to know the answers to his questions. (Maybe that's the Mom instinct coming out in me. Seriously, does anyone else feel like Mom always has the answers? "Mom, where are my running shoes?... Mom, do you know where I put my backpack?... Mom, what's for dinner?... Mom, when's Dad getting home from his work trip?... Mom, what day is the school dance again?... Mom, how many tablespoons are in a cup?..." You get the idea.) So maybe that last point convicts me as a micromanaging wife, but in either case, I think Blake likes when I can be genuinely and actively involved in his life, and vise versa.

Anyhow, so Blake's back into the thick of school, and I'm making things ready for Little Girl's arrival next month. I've also been enjoying the opportunity to read for fun--it's been a while! I'm currently reading a book by Dallin H. Oaks--Pure in Heart. It's not very long, but it has some really insightful ideas and connections that make me question why I do the things I do. It has been interesting to evaluate my motives, attitudes, and desires and get ideas on how I can make them more pure. Look into it, if you'd like--but don't be daunted by the first chapter or so. (I felt like I had to pause in the first two chapters to take in every sentence individually in order to fully wrap my mind around what was being said. That's Elder Oaks for you!) I've also been enjoying keeping house, working towards several goals, and organizing.


So there's a little update on what we're up to now, but I also wanted to backtrack a little bit and say how grateful I am for this past Christmas season. I'm not sure I can think of a happier or one where I've thought so much about the true reason for the season. Here are several highlights:
  • Being pregnant. There is something very special about carrying a baby during Christmas. I don't know that I've ever pondered so much on Mary and how remarkable of a woman she is. Her response to Gabriel when she was told that she would bear the Son of God touches me:  "Behold, the handmaid of the Lord. Be it unto me according to thy word." No protests. No "Whoa now--back up the train--don't you at least want to give me an interview??" No "Are you sure you've got the right girl?", no "Holy cow, there's no way. How am I supposed to deal with this kind of pressure?" Just a simple "Here I am, send me." A young, pure girl (likely anywhere from ten to fourteen years old) with a trusting, willing, submissive heart. I love her and cannot wait to thank her for her goodness. What a truly inspiring example to all of us. Anyway, I felt like I had a connection with her this season. I feel so much joy when I feel or watch this baby girl moving and growing inside of me. It's amazing to me that Mary felt these very same things. I'm sure she would look down and watch her stomach, just as I do. And as she would look down and rest her hand on her stomach, she'd know that she was feeling the literal Son of God, the Redeemer of the World, the King of Kings. And somehow, she was able to bear the magnitude of that knowledge and the towering responsibility that lay ahead. What a truly chosen vessel of the Lord. I know that in my own way, I am also a chosen vessel--Heavenly Father has seen fit to send this little girl to Blake and I and entrust her to our care. What a grand and glorious responsibility.
  • A few days before Christmas, we welcomed another perfect Christmas Miracle to our family: Jadon Joshua Briggs, now the irresistibly cute and happy son of Jake and Christy. The best way I can put it is that my joy really is full. I cried when I found out and I just kept expressing so much gratitude to Heavenly Father for answering the prayers of our family. He's absolutely adorable, healthy as a horse, a completely happy baby, and all in all, such a charmer! We are so excited and I feel like he absolutely fits in the family like he was always meant to be here. We're also doubly excited that Baby Girl will not only have a cousin her age, but one her EXACT same age! Welcome to the family, Jadon! (See here for the full story.)
  • Christmas and Birthday generosity. Blake cornered me one night and asked me what it was that I really wanted for Christmas. My answer: "Honestly, we have a lot of big, necessary purchases coming up. That's good, and it's okay, but we both know that buying things (big or small) stresses me out, and I would love it if everyone in my life would buy me stuff that I need but never want to buy for myself." Wish granted. Seriously, I can't remember a more practical Christmas and I am just overjoyed and grateful for the thoughtful generosity of so many in our family! Hair buzzers, crib mattress, changing table pad and covers, nice window scraper, rolling pin, pastry blender, work out clothes, baby bobby pins (for me, not for the baby... we're pretty sure she's going to be a very feminine kind of bald for the first year)--these are just a few and they're all things I would have dreaded buying myself! Probably the biggest Christmas surprise of all was the very last present I opened. It was from Blake in a large box and I had been in total suspense all month, which is why I saved it for the very end. I ripped off the paper, resolutely tore off the packaging tape, opened the lid of the box and gasped with wide eyes and a dropped jaw. A BOSCH. A big, macho-sized Bosch mixer of my very own!!! I was shocked and thrilled and shocked some more. He did all the research and went through all of the hassle to find me a Bosch that was also heavenly priced. Have I mentioned to you before how much I love Blake? If it's been a million times, let's make it a million and one:  I LOVE BLAKE. A week or so later, I got a birthday surprise from my mom just as magnificent:  A WonderMill Wheat Grinder! I'm so, so excited to start making oodles of homemade wheat bread! I am seriously overwhelmed with the generosity and love that I've felt this year from "Santa," Blake's parents, my parents, and both of our families. *my best Tiny Tim voice* God bless us, every one!
Those were the biggies, but I also wanted to mention a few other minor ones:
  • Having finals over so early. I know it couldn't have been all that different from years past, but feeling like we actually had some down-time in between the stress of finals and the joy of Christmas was really nice.
  • Managing to avoid illness while being surrounded by sick kids and adults everywhere. One cold (or worse) after the other would start threatening, Blake and I would pound Airborne or Emergen-C like holics, and somehow we'd make it through unscathed. Tender mercy!
  • Spending loads of time with family. In a matter of a few weeks, Blake and I put 600 miles on the car going back and forth between the places and people that we love. Blake got me home for Christmas so much this season--there isn't a better gift he could have given me.
  • Watching North and South. I'd never seen it, and it was a wonderful consolation prize for being too pregnant to go skiing/snowboarding with Dad and the older Hull kids. Mom and I watched it from start to finish and my oh my, what a beautiful experience.
  • Playing games with both families. I think it's hilarious that Word on the Street is permitted in the Briggs family even though it's almost as contentious as Risk was back in the day. Sabateur, Hand and Foot, Speed Scrabble, Junior Cranium... so much fun!
  • Christmas Traditions, old and new. The Festival of Trees, Christmas Around the World, Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert, doing sealings with the family, the candlelight dinner, singing around the piano, the nativity, mine and Blake's first Christmas Slumber Party, being at the condo and cabin with our families... Traditions are wonderful. :)
It was a truly magical Christmas. Here's to the New Year and the exciting things 2013 has in store for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment