Saturday, July 21, 2012

Movie Reviews

I've always known I could never be a movie critic. Number one, I couldn't watch all the sleaze, gunk, and slash-em-up movies that they have these days.  Number two, I just don't have the killer critic instinct.  You know what I mean... Even on a movie that has four stars, a movie reviewer will throw in some cynical jab just because they can (at least that's the how the Standard Examiner guy does it). As a hypothetical example:  "Easily one of the best films of the year... If you can get past the sappy romance between Actor A and Actress B." See what I mean?  They've generally got to have the last biting word.

That's just not in my nature.  Even in the poorest movies, I'm more likely to try and smooth things over for the actors' sake.  Exhibit A:  Ella Enchanted.  Possibly one of the most tragic travesties* to ever cross the movie screen in my opinion. Seriously, it was hurtful to any lover of the book. If you haven't seen it, DO NOT. If you haven't read the book, DO, and imagine the perfect movie that book inherently could have been.

Anyway, I feel bad for the people involved with the movie.  It wasn't Anne Hathaway's fault--I'm sure she skillfully did as she was directed and filled her role with exactness. She didn't write the script and mess up the book, she didn't do the screenplay or whatever... And I'm sure their were a whole host of little girls who had never read the book that ranted and raved over the movie, put it on their Christmas list, and watched it every day for several weeks after receiving the movie.

Conclusion:  I couldn't be a movie critic.

BUT, I do have some movie reviews I would like to submit in hopes that you might reap the same joy/thrill/inspiredness/fill-in-the-blank that I did upon watching these.


#1:  The Hunt for Red October


WHY had I never seen this?!?!  I think it's because I thought it was a boring "Mom Movie" growing up. (Which is so ironic, because I've always been the one to watch Mom stuff with Mom--e.g. The Antiques Road Show, Nature episodes, Masterpiece Theater, etc.)  Anyway, Blake and I watched it the other night, and may I just say...

HOLY.   MOLY.

It's incredible! Not to mention it has Sean Connery in it!  I used to scoff at people (mainly boys) who gushed and mushed about Sean Connery being the manliest man alive, but I take it all back.  And the story line! I found myself desperately wishing that the story weren't fiction, but alas, it's based on a brilliant novel by Tom Clancy.  I've never read anything of his, but just from the plot of this movie, I'd say he's a captivating genius.

Give it a shot--I loved that it had the intensity of a suspenseful war movie, but lacked a lot of the gore and violence that I usually have to cover my eyes for. This was excellent.


#2:  Courageous



I think the best review I can give this is a quote from my Mom while I was watching it with her:

"Every person should be made to watch this movie."


Courageous is made by Sherwood Pictures, a film production started by a Christian Community out of Sherwood Georgia whose "goal from day one has been to make family-friendly movies that build on the Judeo Christian ethic and communicate the gospel without compromise." (For more, see here.) They're unabashed in their presentation of faith and truth, and unapologetic about their (and our) conviction that men and women are "have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. . . Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations."** Stated in the Proclamation on the Family, but supported in the media through Sherwood Pictures.

Producer Alex Kendrick said, “I want to make movies, but no church is going to let me stay on staff and do that.”  Pastor Michael Catt replied, “Why not? Bring me a script and a budget, and let’s see if God is in it.”  That was the beginning of Sherwood Pictures, and I can witness to you that God is in this film.
 
"If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."***



Go and seek.  You can even find Courageous in Red Box these days.  This will certainly be worth $1.15 and a few hours of your time.  Let it change you and reaffirm your unwavering commitment to honor, duty, and virtue.


*travesty: a literary or artistic composition so inferior in quality so as to be merely a grotesque imitation of its model
**The Family: A Proclamation to the World
***Articles of Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment