Monday, August 12, 2013

Time Flies

If my love were a picture, this could be it.


Yesterday marked two years since Blake and I were sealed together. (!) What an awesome ride it has been so far! We left Eliza with grandmas and aunts on Friday night and Saturday night and enjoyed some time with just the two of us. It felt so weird going everywhere without a carseat, without a diaper bag, without Eliza, but it was so good for us to have a chance to just be a couple for a few nights. We had a wonderful weekend celebrating, laughing together, remembering, and becoming even better friends. Above all, it was a wonderful gift for me to be reminded that although I am a mother and that can consume a lot of me, my time, and my energy, I am first, foremost, and forever Blake's wife. And I'm so, so glad. I don't think I've ever been more in love with him--I'm glad to know I'll be saying that year after year as we continue to learn to appreciate our differences, understand each other more, and grow closer together. 2 down,

to go. (You're welcome, math nerds.)


We had another milestone in our family:  Eliza is now 6 months old! As I've been thinking back on the last six months, this Mary Engelbreit gem came to mind:



"Time flies whether you're having fun or not." There has certainly been a lot of fun in the last six months, and a lot of adjusting and learning, and let's be honest, our fair share of tears, but the truth is that through all of it, time does fly. Every moment is going to pass. Every stage is going to pass. And even though there are hard things you won't mind leaving behind (being engorged, exhaustion from multiple night feedings, feeling like all you do all day is nurse), there are things you're going to miss. You'll miss how tiny she was and how easy it was to hold her right to your chest. You'll miss the time when she could fit comfortably laying on your lap. You'll miss the newborn cherry sleeper. You'll miss a lot of things.

But the thing to learn here is that there are moments happening right now that you're going to miss later. I'm going to miss the hand-stand trick once she can balance on her own. I'm going to miss having her on my lap once she's mobile and no longer interested in sitting with me or standing on my lap. I'm going to miss all her fat rolls once she starts crawling and becomes skinny again. I'm going to miss getting to spoon-feed her once she's a big girl and wants to do it all by herself. I'm going to miss her giggle when it morphs into more of a toddler laugh. I'm going to miss the way she kicks her legs all of the time--I'm already seeing that phase out and I'm sad to see it go.

Think of your life. Whether things are going splendidly or horrifically, know that "this too shall pass," much more quickly than you suppose. Savor the moment--time is flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment