As much as I love the college life, sometimes I find myself thinking how wonderful it would be to just be with family all of the time. (The grass is always greener, right?) Immediate, extended, even families that aren't your own--just family. I went home today with my cousins that live in Provo to tie quilts for two of our cousins that are getting married. The drive with them was so fun--listening to the BYU game (way to dominate, Cougars!:)), I loved the music we listened to before and after the game, and we stopped in at their aunt and uncle's on the way home. Even though they weren't my family, it was just nice to be with their family.
Being home was wonderful, of course--even if just for a few hours. Seeing my mom and dad, the newest pictures from Beth, getting hugs from Cali and Allison, watching Cali be so dang cute with Aaron (and vise versa!), seeing Doman and Link doing legos, watching Will be so sweet and snuggly with Dan, loving Karen's new hair cut and color and the few minutes I got to talk to her, seeing cousins I hadn't seen in ages, watching my uncle play "little bunny foo foo" with his grandson, helping little kids fill their sippy cups with apple juice, cutting Sloppy Joes into little pieces for little kids, hearing Aaron and David call Grandma out on suggesting that they work with their shirts off so they'd get tan and be liked by the girls, watching Grandma fruitlessly deny it, seeing Jake's smile, seeing my newly married cousins and having it still blow my mind that they're married and settled, sitting on the floor with my mom once the party had died down and just talking, listening to Dad softly snore on the recliner...
Today I just find myself overwhelmed with love and gratitude for the families in my life. They each individually strengthen me in ways I'm sure they aren't even aware of--and there isn't one that isn't an example for good to me in my life. And the thing I love about families?- nobody cares about the things we do and the mistakes that we make. Real love in families is unconditional! I saw that a lot today and was so grateful that that's the case. I know there's nothing I could ever do or not do that would change the way my family loved me, deep down. Yeah people get disappointed or whatever, but love is love--there's no getting around it. And I love that it's that way! No wonder the family is central to Heavenly Father's "plan of happiness." I'm grateful for the parents to which I was born and that I came last with five older siblings to learn from and follow. I love them all so much, it's overwhelming. I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR FAMILIES.
No comments:
Post a Comment