Friday, February 22, 2013

Deep Breaths

I called my Mom today and said,

"I don't know if I've just forgotten everything you taught me when you came to stay or what, but it is unbelievable how bad I am at this."

Commence discouraged breakdown.

You know what? It's all going to be okay. And this isn't just a vain attempt to console myself; it really is going to be okay. I'm sure of it. I'm only two weeks in, and so is Little Eliza. We'll both get better at this. Soon. Hey moms out there, any helpful suggestions? Aside from "Hang in there, it'll get better"?

Things that have gone well today or ever:
  • We did get some rather incredible belches out of Eliza in this last feeding. (Atta girl, Liza!) Not all of the burps, but some.
  • I'm pretty sure she ate fairly well and held most of it down. Tough to tell with breastfeeding.
  • Eliza's a good latcher. I've always hated that word or phrase, but if you can't beat them (and you can't--there's no convincing the medical/pediatric/motherhood world that we should make a wording change), join them. "Latch on." There, I said it.
  • Eliza went right down for her nap. She must have been absolutely pooped because she slept through a pretty significant spit-up and then me mopping her up.
  • Eliza smiled at me.
  • I got a nap this morning. *cue angelic chorus*
  • Dishes are done, bed is made, house picked up, and laundry almost done.
  • Been having a ball reading The Book of Mormon aloud with Eliza. It's charming how easily and naturally an animated reading voice comes out of my mouth when I'm reading to her. Seriously, Lehi's family traveling into the wilderness has never sounded so epic.
  • We figured out that Eliza doesn't like to pass gas. (Which is ironic, considering how she can mess her pants without thinking twice once about it.) She'll squeeze and hold them in and her poor tummy gets more and more agitated until she's beside herself. BUT, knowing this, we can take proactive measures to help in her relief--aka, pulling her knees up to her chest into prime toot position. Let 'em fly, dearie. You don't have to have social graces for several more years.
  • Eliza's healthy and I'm confident she's gaining weight. (We'll find out on Monday.)
  • Found a hopefully great pediatrician and set a two-week appt. on a day Blake can go with us.
  • I'm healthy, recovering well from my episiotomy and tearing, and married to Blake.
  • Nice ladies bringing meals to our house--it's nice to feel loved and mothered when you're doing so much loving and mothering yourself.
  • Unlimited phone access to Blake, my parents, Beth, and the Hull Family.
Well, there's more where that came from, to be sure, but I'm going to call it quits for today. Life is good, as always. Keep calm and carry on.

8 comments:

  1. Just keep remembering that every new mom goes through this. When Claire was born, I watched my mom with her thinking that I'd never be that good. Heavens, I felt like I couldn't even get a onsie on her without bending her arm weird. Just think, in a month or so, you'll be the Liza expert and know just what to do with that cute girl of yours. :) Motherhood is always a learning experience getting to know each child. Example: Everyone tells you to swaddle your child to get them to sleep better. Claire loved it. It took me about 2 weeks to realize that Jared HATED being swaddled. He slept much better after I figured it out. Claire had a hard time passing gas too, so I not only pushed her legs up to her tummy, sometimes I pushed pretty hard to where she'd even blow air out her mouth like, "Sheesh, mom, that's uncomfortable", but it got the really stubborn ones out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny that you mentioned pushing on Claire's stomach... I remember watching you do that in your Provo apartment and it's where I got the idea! :) I'm still in the awkward arm-bending-into-the-onesie stage, but I'm making progress little by little. Thanks for commenting, Stacy!

      Delete
  2. Hello cutie! So fun to find and read your blog!

    FYI - our son David and his wife Kristi had their fourth baby in December and their baby was unhappy, gassy, not sleeping well, crying alot. You might be interested in this blogpost from them: "Ellie is six weeks old! After a visit to the pediatrician, we have discovered that Ellie can't tolerate (that I drink) cows milk right now. It was causing her to have blood in her stools as well as being very cranky! It has been a little over a week since I stopped eating anything dairy (which has been quite a challenge for me) and Ellie's diapers are back to normal and she actually has awake times where she is quietly looking around instead of fussing or screaming. The doctor said that most babies outgrow the milk intolerance by the time they are six month old. I hope that is true because I didn't realize how many things we eat that have some form of dairy in it, mainly cheese. It is worth the sacrifice for a happy baby, but it is definitely making it a challenge to feed myself (I am also supposed to avoid soy right now as 30% of babies are also allergic to soy)." You probably are already figuring out that everything you eat effects your baby. When she is especially gassy try to remember what you ate and then avoid it for a while to see if it makes a difference. You'll be a PRO soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun to be found by you! :) Thank you for the advice on watching my intake. I've figured out a few things to steer clear of and it's making a difference. Sure love you, Claudette!

      Delete
  3. Fun post. You are quite a thinker and creative writer. And I just had the thought that those two factors together and the underlying talents which support them could contribute to what I might term for present purposes "self-memory-suggestion." Just a thought. Hee hee.
    It sounds like you are doing very well. It will be fun to see Eliza and chat with you about everything soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Self memory suggestion?" Oh heavens. I'm sure the factors you've cited are a contributing factor to my "memory suggestions," but we'll find out in the hereafter if they're at the very least BASED in actual fact. ;) Love you, Jake!

      Delete
  4. All I will say is that is just keeps getting better! And I don't mean that sarcastically at all. It really does get better! Soo happy for you two! We want to come and visit but Evelyn has a bit of a cough so we will wait till she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun to see you three on Sunday! Let's watch for a weekend where both of our men have some time to play and get together for games or a movie. :) Until then!

      Delete