I've been writing down my thoughts on the recent Supreme Court decision regarding gay marriage. My mind is full and I have felt pensive and solemn.
And then, I give Eliza my hand to suck on. A few seconds later I look down to see a small, dainty hickey on my hand. I find that rather hilarious. And I smile.
What the Supreme Court has chosen for our country makes me incredibly sad. But I am hopeful. This morning I prayed that the coming of the Lord will be hastened and that I can find a way to do my part to roll the work forward. I know that prayer will be answered.
I watch Eliza lay on the floor on a soft blanket. She looks at me and smiles, all the while testing out her voice. Her squeals of discovery slowly morph into squawks of distress. It is time for a nap. I pick up my little girl and hold her close to me, feeling just as comforted from her touch as she is from mine. We walk back to her room, and I choose a song to sing. America the Beautiful. I put her down and she pulls her fuzzy pink blanket to her cheeks and closes her eyes.
That's when I know. I know that everything will be okay in spite of the horrible mess our society is making of morality. There is goodness to be found all around us--goodness to be generated and cultivated. I watch Baby Girl slip off to sleep. And I smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment