Sunday, October 28, 2012
Old Age: A seasoned kind of beauty
I spent several wonderful hours back in the Alzheimer Unit yesterday. I gussied up several of the ladies with makeup, gave hand massages, helped serve refreshments (many of the residents can't eat or drink on their own), and "danced" and sang with several of the residents. I was so happy to see that some of my dear friends were still doing fairly well--Helen, Elcee, Jim and so many others. I missed seeing Leo and Bea and Elma, but I'm so happy that they've moved on to more glorious spheres and more glorious bodies. The cycle of mortality really is a beautiful thing. I think we're too often afraid of it and don't embrace it for the wondrous plan that it is.
I'd just like to issue you a challenge tonight: respect those who are old and aged by treating them like the young and spirited souls that they are. They really are just like you and me, only smarter and tougher. They're just confined to a nearly-ready-to-be-resurrected body and we aren't. So try to look passed what you might see or hear or smell; rather, look through their sometimes clouded eyes to their spirits. It's what's on the inside that counts.
Labels:
Thoughts on Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment