Monday, December 12, 2011

As of late...

My apologies for a month-long absence (with the exception of that lovely humanities rant the other day)--I've been working on this post for a while. It has been a very busy few weeks!

Here's what we've been up to the last little bit.

First off, we finished the Star Wars Saga, and my goodness, what a shame. I wish there were another batch we could enjoy. New life goal: train to become a Jedi.

Shortly after finishing Star Wars, (as in, a half hour later) we piled in the white Suburban for a Thanksgiving Trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion's National Park with the Briggs Bunch (minus Aaron, who thought snowboarding all week would be more fun (inexcusable), and Dan, Karen, and the kids, who decided a hiking trip with five little kids didn't sound like a relaxing holiday (understandable)).

Mom and Dad navigating

The group at Bryce Canyon

We decided to hike down into the canyon. Holy smokes, mud like I've never experienced, but it was definitely worth it! Beth's shoes say it all:


After Bryce, we continued down to Zion's. We hiked every day, including Angel's Landing. If you're interested, do a google image search to see a little more what the hike is like. After some switchbacks that rival the hike to the Y in intensity, the hike has a good solid chunk of the hike like this:

And this:
(yep, the trail is only that wide... so is the mountain)

The hike puts you up at the level of all the peaks and cliffs at Zion's because you're ON one of the peaks:

Good heavens, Mom! Please act your age and not like a scout! ;)
Just kidding--Mom is quite the adventurer. And this picture really captures just how much altitude we gained. (The little curvy thing at the top is a road. It's about the level the hike started.)


Even though there were a few points where I thought I was trying really hard to act tough and not look a little scared, it was a great experience and we were all glad Blake convinced us we could do it. It really wasn't too bad of a hike, nor was it grossly long like Timp. When you're down in Southern Utah, make a point to do it! (Unless you're prone to vertigo, in which case, most definitely do NOT attempt it.)

All in all, it was a great week! We enjoyed hiking, playing games in the hotel together, pulverizing our muscles in the hot tub, having our own "Continental Breakfast" every morning provided by Dad, and watching all of the Lord of the Rings. (Anyone who knows me will be shocked to hear that. Verdict: truly the greatest epic of good versus evil that I've ever encountered. I'm not sure I'd watch them again, though...)

Consider it the first of many family trips together, Blake!

In other news...

Blake's 23rd Birthday! He worked late, but he was off in time for us to go out for steak with Beth and her friend, Jake. I'm excited for a birthday when he's not working until 6:30 and I don't get home from campus until 6:00. :)

I had my exit interview for my internship at Courtyard at Jamestown. It's amazing how much you can grow to love someone by helping them with their basic needs. (i.e. eating, drinking, mobility, etc.) I'm going to miss my Alzheimer buddies.

The Second Sibling Shin-Dig (and last one our little Autumn Apartment!) including a spectacular Christmas surprise for Mom and Dad and gingerbread house making. (Of course we kept with tradition and watched the second Star Wars, even though Blake and I have seen it recently.)

Annual family outing to the Festival of Trees -- so great to have Blake with us this year!

Birthday Dinner with the Hulls on Sunday and watching the Christmas Devotional with Grandma and Grandpa Hull before they head off to the Philippines! What an adventure!

One of my dear roommates got her mission call to Guatemala City!

End of semester projects and papers including Jackson Polluck rice krispies for humanities.

An entire day of reviews on the Reading Day (9-10, 290; 10-12, Personal Finance; 12-2, Humanities; 2-4 (slash the moment I sprinted out the door to meet Courtney in Orem at 4), Biology.)

Pike Family Get-together to honor our deceased WWII veteran--Grandpa--and his war bride. (And by "war bride," I mean married and twenty days later he's off to Germany.) Merry Christmas, Grandma!

A perfect last Sunday in our little Apartment in South Provo with my very best friend.

Finals starting today and going through Thursday (for me) and Friday (for Blake).

Oh, and moving out today... Hmm, are we seeing a trend here? Last semester/term, we got married on the last day of finals. This semester, we're moving our whole life from one location to another on the first day of finals. What a party!

Things we're looking forward to:

Finals being over.
Getting settled in our new, borrowed home.
Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert!
Hull Extended Family Humanitarian Project.
And of course...
Christmas!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment