Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A random conglomoration of brilliant findings...

Some of you might know I have a tendency to use contractions or variations of words that ought to be real words but for some reason aren't (i.e. "animalistic"). Whilst in the depths of despair (thank you, Anne Shirley) and cranking out a very fluffy humanities paper, I found that a few words that I thought I had made up were actually words! You can only imagine my elation when the words abandonment, embracement, and intemperance escaped the dreaded red underline of the spell check. I was thrilled.

Isn't that wonderful!! You learn new things every day. (Oh, and for your entertainment, I've attached a special doozy-of-a-paragraph to the bottom of this post.)

Speaking of learning new things... I learned in Personal Finance that all wills become public documents. Who knew??

Check out some wills of amazing/infamous people at http://www.doyourownwill.com/famouswills.asp.
(And if you want, you can do your own will there as well. Hooray!) While reading through peoples' wills, guess what else I found out? You know Frank Sinatra... THE Frank Sinatra?? His real name was FRANCIS. Who knew??

Maybe I was the only one in the dark on this one, but apparently you can put things like Mutual Funds INTO an investment vehicle like an IRA or 401(k). (?!) My big question is how would that investment be taxed?? Would you pay annual capital gains taxes on the dividends in the Mutual Fund, or since the whole caboodle was in an IRA, would it be tax-deferred until you pulled the money out? I'm glad that one wasn't on the test. And that the test went well.

Well, I think that's about it for recent brilliant discoveries. Halfway through this post, I started realizing how slightly uninteresting this post might be -- I found myself wanting to stop mid-sentence and end by saying, "....And then I found five dollars." But, I'm going to post it anyway, and hopefully redeem myself with a truly brilliant post soon hereafter.

As my closing remarks, I've included the promised chunk of gunk from my humanities paper.

Disclaimer: I promise that the silliness of the over-inflation in the following paragraph is more a reflection of my belligerence and bitterness towards the field of humanities than it is of my writing style. (Usually.) On most days, humanities and I get along pretty well, but when you ask me to cook up a zillion page comparison paper about who knows what, beware... The humanities gumbo that's brewing on the stove may just be laced with arsenic.

This is me asserting how a painting ("Sunday Morning" by Asher Brown Durand) reflects the moral uprightness of society at the time.



"The painting features a picturesque little town tucked away in some ethereally utopian valley, nestled by the simple grandeur of rolling hills on both sides. The painting’s title makes clear to the viewer the reason for the exodus of townspeople toward the quaint church on the hill. The viewer can almost feel the piety, unity, and collective virtue of the faithful churchgoers as she steps closer to the painting’s surface to see the tiny people crossing the bridge, making their way toward the church. The field of wheat is quiet and empty – the harvesters resting on the Lord’s day. Even the individual bundles turn the viewer’s thoughts to God as refrains of “Bringing in the Sheaves” echo through the painting’s smooth surface."


Like I said... Fluffy.
I thought the "Bringing in the Sheaves" added a nice Little House on the Prairie flair, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment