Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Life, Love, and Deliciousness

Air-popped popcorn, apricots, and cottage cheese for lunch. I actually feel quite good about that. (Did I really just end a blog drought with my lunch menu? Oh my.)

Life is delicious. Not just for me, but for lots of people I know.

1. My good friend Melissa has found her man and is anxiously and happily engaged. This woman is "class" personified and I can't wait to see the engagements/wedding pictures. 2 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days, Melissa! Woohoo!
2. Grandpa Packard is GETTING MARRIED on Friday! Congratulations to Grandpa and Miss-soon-to-be-Mrs. Marsha.
3. Also joining the Packard Posterity is a Mr. Scott Greenhalgh, who has the very sacred privilege of marrying one of my top 5 favorite cousins in the Packard Family: Megan. (Don't tell the other 102 I said that!) If you want to see some truly enchanting wedding photos, check these out. As I understand it, Megan is wearing Grandma Packard's wedding dress. How neat!
3. I have a sibling who may or may not owe ice cream, which means that life is going quite well for that individual. Love must be in the air!
4. Eliza is set to be adorable for Halloween. She doesn't know it, but life is delicious for her, too. (She just knows that mashed apricots are delicious.)
5. And Blake?... is married to me. Which I hope is a delicious experience on most days.


Other than that, here's a little bit of what we've been up to.

  • I take lots of pictures of Eliza. And even more of Eliza and Blake together. But there aren't very many of me and Eliza that haven't been haphazardly snapped with the laptop webcam. I have a goal to fix that.
  • Eliza is purely delightful. Not all of the time, obviously, but there are moments when I just feel like I'm going to burst from the joy that I feel being with her. In all honesty, starting out with this motherhood business was definitely rough for me. It wasn't rough every day, but many, many days. The fog is slowly clearing and I'm starting to see the love story that has been unfolding for the past 9 months, and my goodness, it's beautiful. There are still days thick with fog, but I see more often the sunshine and radiance that this stage of my life holds. 
  • Blake is in passionate pursuit of job post-graduation, which is stressful but exciting. The company he's currently interning for would love to keep him, but they aren't quite what we're looking for. It's nice to know we have a fall-back though in case we don't catch our "bigger fishes" before January.
  • Blake finally got issued a calling in our ward and is enjoying being a ward missionary. The missionary effort in this ward is definitely impressive, but there is still a mountain of opportunity to spread the gospel here! For example, out entire building minus our back-door neighbors are either not members or inactive. Like I said--so much opportunity!
  • I love reading. And I'm doing something I always thought was crazy in other people: I'm reading multiple books at once. I'm currently sinking my teeth into Anne of Avonlea, The Power of Everyday Missionaries, The Power of Starting Something Stupid, Bringing out the Best in People, and Spirituality: The Key to the Science of Theology. The first two are more particularly holding my attention, but I intend to see the other books through as well. Reading is so much more of a wholesome pastime than watching something. (TV, movies, lame youtube videos...) Megan Conley from MegInProgress.com puts it this way:
"To read a good book is to escape, but it is an interactive experience that engages you. . . . The TV will continue to play if you stop watching, while the story in a book goes silent if you close its covers. A book is all about connections, it brings you to new worlds, new people and connects you to the voice of the author. There is power in the written word. It feeds and sustains." 
I feel fed and sustained as I read. I smile, I laugh, I cry, I engage. My mind ingests and generates. It lifts my thoughts higher. I love it.
There's more that we've been up to, but Eliza is about to wake up from her nap and I know if I don't just post this now, it won't get posted. In closing (is this a church talk??), here are some pictures of the two people I love most:


No comments:

Post a Comment