Friday, April 29, 2011

Shorter hair, Skinnier jeans

Like a major earthquake or volcanic eruption, sometimes it takes a catastrophe to cause enough of a shift in your life to let certain things into or out of it.


Life experiences can completely change the face of who we are, like Mount St. Helens, but more often, little shocks and jolts cause minor changes in how we think, how we view the world, how we choose to spend our time in mortality, and what we value.

On an infinitely more superficial note, sometimes these bumps and jolts knock us hard enough to allow certain things slip through the newly opened cracks. For example, a few months ago, I cut my hair without giving it a second thought. My mentality was, "It's just hair. There are much more important things in this world." So I let my roommate Melissa wash my hair in the kitchen sink and chop it right then and there on our fake wooden floor. The long hair I'd had for just about forever = gone.







The shock that Suzy so masterfully captured in that middle picture gradually wore off and I quite enjoy having shorter hair. It's a lot healthier, I have spunky, sporty ponytails these days (always fun), I can do messy buns, my hair doesn't get as static-y from my black coat, and the wind picks up my hair so much more easily (a feature my good friend Ben would absolutely LOVE...) .

Life jolt's newest installment: skinny jeans.

GASP! Shock! Mild, benign made-up expletive! Blush! Swoon!

Yes, my friends... skinny jeans. Run and hide.

My first encounter was with a pair belonging to Suzy worn on a date that I needed an extra confidence boost for. (By the way, Melissa--THANK YOU.) I was surprised to find that wearing them didn't kill me. In fact, it was pretty painless. They're just pants and like my hair, my ankles gradually got over the sensation of being choked. A month or so later, I was out for a walk when I passed a college girl's yard sale. I took a look at a few things, saw some jeans, and determined that I'd go back after my walk and look into it further. There was a pair of jeans tagged for TWO DOLLARS. Jeans for 2 bucks?! Definitely worth trying them on! They were skinny jeans, and fit SO DANG WELL. (That is in and of itself a miracle for my curvy little body. Can't pass up a miraculous pair of two dollar jeans, right??) Even if I couldn't stand the skinny leg, I could cut them into shorts, right? Long story short, I got the jeans for FREE. (Wooo!!!) And no, I have not cut them into shorts, nor am I planning to.

So I haven't forwarded the skinny jean industry with my own money, (although I am very confident that the free pair I've inherited were originally bought with an arm, leg, and the birthright of the first, unborn child of aforementioned college girl) but thanks to Mom's stellar seamstress skills and an awesome Bernina that can revive holey-hand-me-down-jeans, I do have a pair of my very own. To have, to hold, and to wear when I'm feeling like the world and I can both handle the sparkly back pockets. Will I ever buy skinny jeans? Probably not. (Let's be honest: how often do I spend good money on things like jeans?) But Aaron recently acquired a pair that are waiting for me on my bed at home--we'll see if they fit.

1 comment: